Wednesday, December 2, 2009

PROSTATE CANCER

Well, on Monday I had surgery to remove my prostate. As you remember I was diagnosed back in June with prostate cancer and we chose to have the prostate removed. So on Monday morning, at 5:30am we went to Covenant Hospital in Lubbock and Dr. Vallabhan removed my prostate using the robotics. Unlike when I had my hand fixed, they were able to get my IV on the first stick, so everything started on a good note. The surgery was supposed to begin at 7:00am but the surgery crew had an emergency early so they were a little bit late getting started on me, but not much. The surgery took 3 hours and I was asleep over 5 hours, and woke up with 6 holes in my stomach. The doctor also removed some lymph nodes and sent them off to be checked but said that he thinks that he got all of the cancer. So I am home recuperating and doing nothing for 2 weeks, and very little for 6 to 8 weeks. This is only Wednesday and it is already getting old.
When I checked into the hospital I had to weigh in and I have lost a total of 47 pounds, if you ask my wife she will tell you how many sticks of butter that is (that's just gross). Anyway I am home trying to heal up, so respond to my blog and maybe I will keep you updated.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

hope you heal up very soon~ i am peter.

Tammy said...

I hope you get to feeling better. Glad the surgery went well and you are on the Road to Recovery !!!

My mother-in-law just found out she has Colon and Liver Cancer and is home on the Road to Recovery as well. She made it home the Wednesday before Thanksgiving after spending 2 weeks in the hospital. It definately was a reason to be THANKFUL.

I know how boring and tiresome it can be. But keep your head and spirits up and just think about them beautiful GrandGirls. How worthwhile all this is just to be able to be with them and watch them grow and become beautiful Women.

Keep Updating !! I do check regularly !!!

Tell Becky hello and to TRY to make you behave !!!

Cindy said...

I'm sorry you had to go through surgery but very thankful that the outcome sounds good. I've always heard that a preacher's kid was the worst but it sounds like the preacher may be worst since the hospital didn't want you to hang around for very long. Just kidding.

It is nice that you are home recuperating instead of having to stay in the hospital.

Our prayers are with you for a compete and speedy recovery.

Give Becky and the kids our love.

We love you.