Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Springtime in the Yard

Well, I have spent two days working in my yard, anyone who knows where my house is knows that I have a large yard. But I spent Friday and Monday working on my riding mower and filling in holes the dogs have dug, raking leaves, hauling firewood back to where I store it in the summer, cleaning and mowing really slow and low to help clean acorns, leaves, dogie piles and other junk out of the yard. Today I am a bit sore but the yard does look good. Does this mean that I am finished with my springtime yard cleaning? No, I still need to rake acorns out of the flower beds and get ready to plant flowers, and I also need to sow more shady grass seed. Is it worth it, I like to think so, and I do like to have a nice yard. My goal is to get the yard looking as nice as it did back when my grandfather lived in the house, he liked a nice yard also.
I would also like to get a patio with new steps out my back door poured this summer, but I must get a new roof first. Always something to be done, and it always seems to take money, money I don't have. Like the man said, "I should have been born rich instead of so good looking," OK, maybe I missed out on both.
But it is springtime in Texas, and it is grand; warmer weather, more wind, spring rains, tornado's, spiders and bugs, aah, springtime in Texas.
As the song says, "When it's roundup time in Texas, and the bloom is on the sage. Then I long to be in Texas, just a riding on the range."
Last time I rode the range......my wife turned the burner on. (Always leave em laughing.)

2 comments:

The Wilsons said...

Still laughing!

willow said...

do you mean that she had a bun in the oven?... if so that sure was a long time ago.